3D Animation Software
Buyer's guide - what to look for in 3D Animation software
Fancy yourself as a budding animator? Dream of creating 3D digital animation that wouldn?t look out of place at Pixar or Dreamworks Studios? If you do have those dreams, you?d be forgiven for writing them off. It takes years of training to achieve those kinds of levels, right?
Wrong. Massive increases in the memory and speed of home computers and the falling price of software have put the tools that can create 3D animation well and truly within reach of the living-room amateur.
Don't believe me? Just take a look at the software we are featuring here on Shoutdown. It?s seriously impressive just what can be achieved.
As is often the case, it?s the training that comes with the software which is key.
Here's what you should look for when considering 3D animation software:
- Ease of interface - powerful 3D animation software can be daunting. The interface should be as intuitive as possible
- 3D modelling - build wireframes of your models easily. Templates are sometimes offered to get you started. Wireframes should be easy to animate.
- Surface rendering, shading and effects - automated rendering and shading to create lifelike models.
- Automated game creation - use your models to create games without programming.
- File formats - A wide array of export files should be offered and various levels of compression.
- Tutorials and training - Unless you are familiar with general animation principals you will likely need to run through some tutorials to get the best out of your software. Look for tutorials or online training. Support forums (whether official or unofficial) are a plus so that other users can help you while you're learning.
- Help and support - As with all software, sometimes you will require assistance. Whether it's a lost software key or software failure you should look for a responsive vendor. Comprehensive online help files or an active user forum are a must. Telephone or live-chat support is also recommended.
We have chosen software that is ideal for beginners and those with intermediate skills, which come bundled with plenty of training!